Seneca County Workforce Development & Youth Bureau is the HUB/PORT for youth and adult services. Our goal is to provide youth and adults with opportunities through information, programs, and services. These opportunities will empower individuals to make informed decisions about their education, employment, and career goals as they strive towards self-sufficiency and development of a healthy, safe and nurturing lifestyle. These services will be provided for in the most professional, efficient and respectful manner.
- Youth Work Experience Program (For Employers)
- Youth & Adult Services Brochure
- 2021 Summer Youth Employment Program Application
Programs & Services
Seneca County Workforce Development and Youth Bureau Swim Program is cancelled this year due to the COVID-19 Pandemic and the closing of Vince’s Park Pool this year.
We look forward to providing this program again in 2021.
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP)
- Summer Youth Application Available April 2020
- Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) Job Readiness Program
- Advocacy – Youth & Families
- Crisis Counseling Referral
- General Counseling Referral
- Independent Living Program
- Runaway Homeless Youth Program
- Substance Abuse Services Referral
- Summer Rec Program
- Summer Swim Program
- Summer Youth Employment Program Application Packet ’20
The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) provides employment and training services to eligible. out-of-school youth ages 16-24 possessing specific barriers to employment. The program focus is on comprehensive youth services consisting of ten program elements which can be grouped around four major themes:
- Improving educational achievement (including such elements as tutoring, study skills training, and instruction leading to secondary school completion; dropout out prevention strategies, and alternative secondary school offerings).
- Preparing for and succeeding in employment (including career guidance, opportunity to earn work-related credentials, work readiness training, and paid work experience opportunities.)
- Supporting youth (including meeting supportive services needs and providing adult mentoring, follow-up services, and comprehensive guidance and counseling).
- Offering services intended to develop the potential of youth as citizens and leaders (including leadership development opportunities).
TANF & SYEP
Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) The SYEP provides eligible youth between the ages of 14 – 20 with summer employment and educational opportunities. Participants work in a variety of entry-level jobs at government agencies, non-profits, and private sector businesses. The program runs approximately 6 to 8 weeks in July and August. The SYEP strives to:
- Emphasize real-world labor expectations
- Increase awareness of services offered by the local community – based programs
- Provide opportunities for career instruction, financial & literacy training, academic improvement, and social growth
Our mission is to place as many youths as possible in appropriate, meaningful jobs in safe settings while providing exceptional supports, academic enrichment, and opportunities to gain marketable skills; and to provide the community and businesses a view of our local emerging workforce. The employer is responsible for direct supervision, attendance, evaluations and to assure that the youth is working in a safe and healthful environment. Employers must abide by the New York State Child Labor Laws and comply with the requirements provided in the Supervisors Handbook provided by the county. Wages and Workers Compensation are the responsibility of the County. We are always seeking employers to become worksites for our youth participants. For additional information to become a worksite please contact our staff.